Open Enrollment is now open! Make sure to look over your health insurance options for 2015 and invest in the right policy before Open Enrollment ends on February 15, 2015. If you do not invest in a new individual health insurance policy during the Open Enrollment period, you will face heavy fines and be left without health coverage for the upcoming year. The only way that you can sign up for health insurance outside of the Open Enrollment period is if you experience a life event that qualifies you for a special enrollment period. Some of the most common qualifying life events include:
- Getting married or getting a divorce.
- Having a baby, adopting a child, or putting a child up for adoption.
- Moving to a different state that does not offer the same health care coverage that you currently have.
- Experiencing a change in your household income that affects your eligibility for cost sharing reductions or premium tax credits.
- Gaining status as a member of a federally recognized shareholder or tribe in an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act Corporation. As a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe, you can change your health insurance plan once a month throughout the entire year.
- If you lose your health insurance coverage due to the loss of your job, age off of your parent’s health insurance plan, lose your eligibility for CHIP or Medicaid, your COBRA plan expires, or any other similar circumstance you will qualify. Keep in mind that voluntarily giving up your health insurance coverage does not qualify you for a special enrollment period.
the insurance professionals at Gateway Professional Insurance Services in Vacaville, California for all of your health insurance coverage needs. We are happy to answer any of your questions about Open Enrollment and the health insurance options that are available to you.