Thanksgiving is just around the corner, which means it is time to pull out your favorite family recipe and get your home ready for the Thanksgiving visitors. While you are getting ready for the holiday, it is vital that you know how to stay safe while cooking in the kitchen. Keep these simple Thanksgiving safety tips in mind to ensure everyone has a safe holiday.
Gateway Professional Insurance Services
- Before you start cooking, thoroughly clean your stove and oven. Built up grease from past dinners can easily start a fire.
- Do not leave your house while you are cooking. If you are cooking on the stove, do not leave the kitchen so that you can keep an eye on your food.
- Keep the floor of your kitchen free from obstacles, such as toys and bags. Also, keep your pets out of the kitchen so that you do not trip over them while moving around.
- Create a “no kids zone” in your kitchen that is at least three feet away from the oven and stove. Boiling water and splattering grease can easily burn children.
- Keep any flammable objects, such as potholders, towels, food packaging, and bags away from the stove so that they do not catch on fire while you are cooking.
- Test all the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms throughout your home to ensure that they are working properly. Replace any alarms that are broken or outdated.
- Keep a fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fires in your kitchen while you are cooking. Make sure multiple people in your house know how to use it.
- Before you go to bed at the end of the day, double check to ensure that all of your appliances are turned off.
in Vacaville, California would like to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!