Earthquakes are one of the biggest threats to California residents. With no warning, it is important to make sure you are prepared for an earthquake at any time, even while driving. If you are driving while an earthquake happens:
- Gradually decrease your speed and pull to the side of the road when it is safe.
- If you are driving on the freeway, exit at the first opportunity.
- If you are driving next to a coast that is a potential tsunami zone, drive to higher ground as fast and as safe as possible.
- Never stop under a bridge or an overpass.
- Try to avoid parking next to any trees or power lines.
- Stop and turn off your car, engage the emergency break and stay in your vehicle with your seatbelt on.
- Turn on the radio to listen for any advisories.
- If a power line falls on your vehicle, stay inside. Wait until a trained professional is able to remove the power lines.
- If you see a vehicle with a power line on it, do not attempt to touch or get in the vehicle. Call the authorities that will send out a processional.
Most importantly, make sure you have the right auto insurance to protect you and your vehicle by contacting
Gateway Insurance in Vacaville, California.